Hideki SUGIURA (Associate Professor)
PhD., The University of Tokyo
Wild Japanese macaques can be observed closely by habitation to human observers. They show us variety of their behaviors under natural conditions. I have studied behaviors of wild Japanese macaques on Yakushima Island and Kinkazan Island; vocal communication, mating behavior, social interaction and so on. I have also conducted annual census of wild Japanese macaques on Yakushima Island for more than 10 years to reveal their population dynamics.
- 1995-2000 Post-doctoral fellow
- 2000-2008 Research associate, Primate Research Institute, Kyoto University
- 2008- Associate professor, Primate Research Institute, Kyoto University
- 2008- Associate professor, Wildlife Research Center, Kyoto University
back to the member's list
- Sugiura, H. (1993) Temporal and acoustic correlates in vocal exchange of coo calls in Japanese macaques. Behaviour 124: 207-225.
- Sugiura, H. (1998) Matching of acoustic features during the vocal exchange of coo calls by Japanese macaques. Animal Behaviour 55: 673-687.
- Sugiura, H., Saito, C., Sato, S., Agetsuma, N., Takahashi, H., Tanaka, T., Furuichi, T. & Takahata, Y. (2000) Variation in intergroup encounters in two populations of Japanese macaques. International Journal of Primatology 21: 519-535.
- Sugiura, H., Agetsuma, N. & Suzuki, S. (2002) Troop extinction and female fusion in wild Japanese macaques in Yakushima. International Journal of Primatology 23: 69-84.
- Agetsuma, N., Sugiura, H., Hill, D. A., Agetsuma-Yanagihara, Y. & Tanaka, T. (2003) Population density and group composition of Japanese sika deer (Cervus nippon yakushimae) in an evergreen broad-leaved forest in Yakushima, southern Japan. Ecological Research 18: 475-483.
- Tanaka, T., Sugiura, H. & Masataka, N. (2006) Cross-sectional and longitudinal studies of the development of group differences in acoustic features of coo calls in two groups of Japanese macaques. Ethology 112: 7-21.
- Sugiura, H., Tanaka, T. & Masataka, N. (2006) Sound transmission in the habitats of Japanese macaques and its possible effect on population differences in coo calls. Behaviour 143: 993-1012.
- Oyakawa, C., Koda, H. & Sugiura, H. (2007) Acoustic features contributing to the individuality of wild agile gibbon (Hylobates agilis agilis) songs. American Journal of Primatology 69: 777-790.
- Mori, A., Yamane, A., Sugiura, H., Shotake, T., Boug, A. & Iwamoto, T. (2007) A study on the social structure and dispersal patterns of hamadryas baboons living in a commensal group at Taif, Saudi Arabia. Primates 48: 179-189.
- Sugiura, H. (2007a) Adjustment of temporal call usage during vocal exchange of coo calls in Japanese macaques. Ethology 113: 528-53.
- Sugiura, H. (2007b) Effects of proximity and behavioral context on acoustic variation in the coo calls of Japanese macaques. American Journal of Primatology 69: 1412-1424.
- Suzuki, M., & Sugiura, H. (2011). Effects of Proximity and Activity on Visual and Auditory Monitoring in Wild Japanese Macaques. American Journal of Primatology, 73, 623-631.
- Sugiura, H., Shimooka, Y., & Tsuji, Y. (2011). Variation in spatial cohesiveness in a group of Japanese macaques (Macaca fuscata). International Journal of Primatology, 32, 1348-1366.