Mar 2004: B.A. Biology, Faculty of Science, Kyoto University
Mar 2006: M.A. Biology (Comparative Psychology), Graduate School of Science, Kyoto University
Mar 2009: Ph.D. Science (Comparative Psychology), Graduate School of Science, Kyoto University
An experimental study of altruism, reciprocity, and understanding of
others in chimpanzees
(Supervised by Prof. Tetsuro Matsuzawa)
Original Japanese articles with English summary
- Takimoto, A., & Yamamoto, S. (2015) Three-factor combination model for empathy-related phenomena and relevant evidence in nonhuman primates. Shinrigaku-Hyoron (Psychological Review), 58 (3), 255-270.
- Yamamoto, S. (2011) Evolution of altruism and cooperation: perspectives on its mechanisms and adaptation to social systems. Reichouruikenkyu, 27 (2), 95-109.
- Yamamoto, S. (2011) Similarities and differences between humans and chimpanzees. Jinbungakuho, 100, 145-160.
- Yamamoto, S. (2010) Helping upon request in chimpanzees: evolutionary basis for human altruism and reciprocity. Shinrigaku-Hyoron (Psychological Review), 53, 422-433.
- Yamamoto, S. (2005) Social factors influencing within-group vigilance in Japanese macaques (Macaca fuscata). Reichouruikenkyu, 21 (1), 19-26.
- Hare, B., & Yamamoto, S. Eds. (2017) Bonobos: Unique in mind, brain, and behaviour. Oxford: Oxford University Press.
- Hare, B., & Yamamoto, S. Eds. (2015) Bonobo Cognition and Behaviour. Leiden: Brill.
- Sakamaki, T., Behncke, I., Laporte, M., Mulavwa, M., Ryu, H., Takemoto, H., Tokuyama, N., Yamamoto, S., & Furuichi, T. (2015) Intergroup Transfer of Females and Social Relationships Between Immigrants and Residents in Bonobo (Pan paniscus) Societies. In T. Furuichi, J. Yamagiwa, & F. Aureli (Eds.), Dispersing Primate Females: Life History and Social Strategies in Male-Philopatric Species. Tokyo: Springer-Verlag, pp. 127-164.
- Yamamoto, S. (2013) Invention and modification of new tool-use behavior. In E. G. Carayannis (ed.), Encyclopedia of Creativity, Invention, Innovation, and Entrepreneurship, New York / Heidelberg: Springer, pp. 1131-1139.
- Yamamoto, S., Yamakoshi, G., Humle, T., & Matsuzawa, T.（2011） Ant-fishing in trees: invention and modification of a new tool use behavior. In T. Matsuzawa, T. Humle, & Y. Sugiyama (Eds.), The chimpanzees in Bossou and Nimba. Tokyo: Springer-Verlag, pp. 123-130.