Associate Professor, Wildlife Research Center, Kyoto University
Wild Japanese macaques can be observed closely by habitation to human observers. They show us variety of their behaviors under natural conditions. I have studied behaviors of wild Japanese macaques on Yakushima Island and Kinkazan Island; vocal communication, mating behavior, social interaction and so on. I have also conducted annual census of wild Japanese macaques on Yakushima Island for more than 10 years to reveal their population dynamics.
Educational and Professional History
2008-Associate Professor, Wildlife Research Center, Kyoto University
2008Associate Professor, Primate Research Institute, Kyoto University
2000-2008Research Associate, Primate Research Institute, Kyoto University
1995-2000Post-doctoral Fellow, Primate Research Institute, Kyoto University
- Sugiura, H., Shimooka, Y., & Tsuji, Y. (2011). Variation in spatial cohesiveness in a group of Japanese macaques (Macaca fuscata). International Journal of Primatology, 32, 1348-1366.
- Suzuki, M., & Sugiura, H. (2011). Effects of Proximity and Activity on Visual and Auditory Monitoring in Wild Japanese Macaques. American Journal of Primatology, 73, 623-631.
- Sugiura, H. (2007b) Effects of proximity and behavioral context on acoustic variation in the coo calls of Japanese macaques. American Journal of Primatology 69: 1412-1424.
- Sugiura, H. (2007a) Adjustment of temporal call usage during vocal exchange of coo calls in Japanese macaques. Ethology 113: 528-53.
- Mori, A., Yamane, A., Sugiura, H., Shotake, T., Boug, A. & Iwamoto, T. (2007) A study on the social structure and dispersal patterns of hamadryas baboons living in a commensal group at Taif, Saudi Arabia. Primates 48: 179-189.
- Oyakawa, C., Koda, H. & Sugiura, H. (2007) Acoustic features contributing to the individuality of wild agile gibbon (Hylobates agilis agilis) songs. American Journal of Primatology 69: 777-790.
- Sugiura, H., Tanaka, T. & Masataka, N. (2006) Sound transmission in the habitats of Japanese macaques and its possible effect on population differences in coo calls. Behaviour 143: 993-1012.
- Tanaka, T., Sugiura, H. & Masataka, N. (2006) Cross-sectional and longitudinal studies of the development of group differences in acoustic features of coo calls in two groups of Japanese macaques. Ethology 112: 7-21.
- Agetsuma, N., Sugiura, H., Hill, D. A., Agetsuma-Yanagihara, Y. & Tanaka, T. (2003) Population density and group composition of Japanese sika deer (Cervus nippon yakushimae) in an evergreen broad-leaved forest in Yakushima, southern Japan. Ecological Research 18: 475-483.
- Sugiura, H., Agetsuma, N. & Suzuki, S. (2002) Troop extinction and female fusion in wild Japanese macaques in Yakushima. International Journal of Primatology 23: 69-84.
- Sugiura, H., Saito, C., Sato, S., Agetsuma, N., Takahashi, H., Tanaka, T., Furuichi, T. & Takahata, Y. (2000) Variation in intergroup encounters in two populations of Japanese macaques. International Journal of Primatology 21: 519-535.
- Sugiura, H. (1998) Matching of acoustic features during the vocal exchange of coo calls by Japanese macaques. Animal Behaviour 55: 673-687.
- Sugiura, H. (1993) Temporal and acoustic correlates in vocal exchange of coo calls in Japanese macaques. Behaviour 124: 207-225.