As a reproductive scientist, my goal is to contribute the wildlife conservation by the application of new reproductive knowledge and technologies. My research focuses on developing the technologies to freeze and grow immature ovarian follicles as models for rescuing valuable genetics from wild animals. Now the research objects are expanding from model animals to wildlife and from mammals to birds.
2017-Part-time Instructor, Ritsumeikan University
2016-JSPS Research Fellow RPD, Wildlife Research Center, Kyoto University
Research Associate, Smithsonian Conservation Biology Institute, USA
2014-2015JSPS Overseas Research Fellow
2011-2015Post-doctoral fellow, Smithsonian Conservation Biology Institute, USA
2011PhD in Agriculture, Graduate school of Agriculture, Kyoto University
2009-2011JSPS Research Fellow DC2
2008MS in Agriculture, Graduate school of Agriculture, Kyoto University
- Fujihara M, Yamamizu K, Wildt DE, Songsasen N. "Expression pattern of matrix metalloproteinases changes during folliculogenesis in the cat ovary." Reproduction in domestic animals; 51(5): 717-25, 2016.
- Fujihara M#, Comizzoli P, Keefer CL, Wildt DE, Songsasen N. "Epidermal Growth Factor (EGF) Sustains In Vitro Primordial Follicle Viability by Enhancing Stromal Cell Proliferation via MAPK and PI3K Pathways in the Prepubertal, but Not Adult Cat Ovary." Biology of Reproduction; 90(4):86, 2014. (# Corresponding author)
- Kim SM, Fujihara M, Sahere M, Minami N, Yamada M, Imai H. "Effects of extracellular matrices and the lectin DBA on cell adhesion and self-renewal of bovine gonocytes cultured in vitro." Reproduction, Fertility and Development; 26(2): 268-281, 2014.
- Fujihara M#, Comizzoli P, Wildt DE, Songsasen N. "Cat and dog primordial follicles enclosed in ovarian cortex sustain viability after in vitro culture on an agarose gel in a protein-free medium." Reproduction in Domestic Animals; 47: 102–108, 2012. (# Corresponding author)
- Songsasen N, Comizzoli P, Nagashima J, Fujihara M, Wildt DE. "The domestic dog and cat as models for understanding the regulation of ovarian follicle development in vitro." Reproduction in Domestic Animals; 47: 13–18, 2012.
- Yamamizu K, Fujihara M, Tachibana M, Katayama S, Imai H, Shinkai Y, Yamashita JK. "Protein kinase A determines early differentiation velocity through epigenetic regulation with G9a" Cell Stem Cell; 2012. 10: 759-770, 2012.
- Kim SM, Fujihara M, Goel S, Sahere M, Minami N, Yamada M, Imai H. "Identification of reprogramming factors associated with a pluripotent potential of porcine and bovine spermatic stem cells in culture." Proceeding of ISIVF congress;41-48, 2012.
- Fujihara M, Kim SM, Minami N, Yamada M, Imai H. "Characterization and in vitro culture of male germ cells from developing bovine testis" The Journal of Reproduction and Development, Japanese Society of Animal Reproduction; 57(3): 355-364, 2011.
- Goel S, Reddy N, Mandal S, Fujihara M, Kim SM, Imai H. "Spermatogonia specific proteins expressed in prepubertal buffalo testis and their utilization for isolation and in vitro cultivation of spermatogonia." Theriogenology; 74: 1221- 1232, 2010.
- Goel S, Fujihara M, Tsuchiya K, Takagi Y, Minami N, Yamada M, Imai H. "Multipotential ability of primitive germ cells from neonatal pig testis cultured in vitro." Reproduction, Fertility and Development; 21; 696–708, 2009.
- Fujihara M, Goel S, Minami N, Yamada M, Imai H. "Cryopreservation in liquid nitrogen of gonocytes from neonatal porcine testes stored at 4ºC." Reproductive Medicine and Biology; 7: 153-160, 2008.
- Goel S, Fujihara M, Minami N, Yamada M and Imai H. "Expression of NANOG, but not POU5F1, points to the stem cell potential of primitive germ cells in neonatal pig testis." Reproduction; 135: 785-795, 2008.